As we move into fall and are spending more time indoors many of us are looking for ways to stay active and healthy. If a regular exercise routine has not been part of your self care routine it can be overwhelming to know where to start and what to expect. Blair Douglas from Nourish Mind.Body.Soul Muskoka joins us with her top 5 habits to successfully start and maintain a exercise routine.
1. Understand it is a lifestyle change. Any long term sustainable change takes time and a plan. It is not something that will happen over night and small steps towards changing habits can make a big difference over time.
2. Find activities you enjoy doing. It is important to give different activities a try until you find the right balance of enjoyment and results. Everyone's body is a different stage, age and ability level and finding activities you truly enjoy will help you to stick with it in the long run.
3. Be patient with yourself. Most people dive into an exercise routine and expect results almost instantly. You body takes time to change and adjust. Consistency is the most important factor. Starting with 3 days a week and keeping it consistent is the best way to see long term results. Looking at all factors of your well-being will also help to see where you are achieving results, from improved sleep to lowering stress levels, don't let the scale be the only determining factor to your success.
4. Hire a professional. You would hire a professional to renovate your house and do your taxes, your body deserves the same attention. Starting with a professional allows you to learn proper technique, understand what your body needs, avoid injuries, keeps you accountable and they help set realistic goals.
5. Set realistic short and long term goals. Starting your fitness journey with really understanding why you are doing it will take you far in the motivation department. When you want to give up it allows you to look back on the reason you started exercising. Short term goals will allow you to see the accomplishments along the way and keep you on track to the long term larger goals.
Congratulations on taking the first steps towards self care through a regular exercise routine!